What is hormonal acne?
Acne is usually a part of hitting puberty when hormonal changes start to occur in your body. But sometimes, hormonal changes can happen even when you are an adult. In fact, it is a common occurrence to undergo hormonal shifts, especially if you are a woman who menstruates.
These changes can often trigger breakouts. When the body produces more androgens (male hormones) and estrogen levels lower (especially during periods), acne can be triggered. These breakouts are termed hormonal acne or adult acne.
Can it be cured at home?
Even though it may be hard to keep your skin clear at all times, there are quite a few things you can do to take care of hormonal acne. Several options are available that you can try with ease at the comfort of your own home to take care of your skin and treat your breakouts. So, what are they?
Try these home remedies and DIY tips for acne
The first thing you should remember when attempting to treat your acne is that this is not a thing that you can do magically overnight with a few ingredients. It is a consistent process that you need to follow, a combination of lifestyle changes and remedies to try that will produce a combined effect in bringing about your desired results. Fixing your diet and lifestyle can help manage your acne to a great extent.
- Drink adequate water - This one is a no-brainer. Water keeps your skin hydrated and flushes out the toxins from your body. It restores moisture to your skin so that it doesn’t have to produce excess oil to keep it hydrated. The excess oil causes acne. So, drink adequate amounts of water to stay healthy, hydrated and in control of your acne.
- Make sure to exercise regularly - Exercising increases the blood circulation to your face, which helps in clearing out your skin. Also, it is a great way to manage your stress levels, which also contributes to curing stress-induced acne.
- Manage your stress levels - It is very important to manage your stress levels. The hormones that are released when the body is stressed contributes to excess sebum production and increases inflammation, aggravating acne. Moreover, stress slows down the healing of wounds, which can keep acne and lesions for longer on your skin. Keep your stress levels under control to avoid this.
- Take care of your diet - It is important to follow a healthy diet if you want to cure your acne. Avoid greasy, junk food as it can disrupt your hormones and produce more oil. Further, eating dairy products, sugary and processed foods also aggravate acne. Follow a clean diet to take better care of your skin.
- Try probiotics - Probiotics manage your gut health and keep the healthy bacteria in it thriving. This can help in reducing inflammation and help you achieve clearer skin. Yogurt and cheese are great sources of probiotics.
Take supplements - You can try supplements like zinc and fish oil to help clear your skin. Zinc is an important mineral that helps in regulating hormone levels and promoting cell growth, which is great for regulating acne. Omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce inflammation levels in the body, making acne appear less severe. For an overall cycle and hormonal balance, try the Carmesi Cyclo+ 100% Ayurvedic Tablets to bring your hormones back on track and provide relief against acne while balancing your cycle.
Try these remedies to treat your acne
Apart from incorporating changes in your diet and lifestyle, try out these at-home treatments for acne that are super easy but highly effective.
- Ice out your acne - Ice is a great way to reduce the inflammation caused by acne. If you apply it for a short amount of time directly on your acne and massage it in circular motions, it will help in soothing your skin and lessening your acne.
- Use apple cider vinegar - The acids present in apple cider vinegar help in killing acne-causing bacteria and curing inflammation. Apply it directly to your face or make a mask to cure your acne.
- Use aloe vera for those breakouts - Aloe vera is a wonderful ingredient in treating acne. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is known to contain salicylic acid and sulphur, which are great for treating acne. Use it as a moisturiser daily to see a visible effect on acne and scars.
- Try green tea bags - Green tea is a great source of antioxidants and help in fighting acne-causing bacteria and reducing inflammation. It is great for soothing the skin and treating hormonal acne. You can use it in products or apply the green tea bags directly to your skin.
Apply a spot treatment - Spot treatments are great for treating acne, especially overnight. You can apply tea tree oil, which is known for its effects of killing acne-causing bacteria and reducing inflammation.
- You can even try the Acne Spot Corrector from Carmesi, which is infused with powerful natural ingredients like salicylic acid, niacinamide and zinc sebum, which help in fighting the bad bacteria causing breakouts, reducing inflammation and controlling excess oil. And, the vitamin C in it helps in reducing acne scars.
- Try a citrus mask for exfoliation - Physical exfoliators are scrubs that are used to remove the dead skin cells from your skin. But these scrubs are harsh for skin with breakouts. However, exfoliation is necessary for all skin types to remove the dead skin and promote new cell growth while controlling oil production. Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) is a great chemical exfoliator that exfoliates the dead skin and excess oil from the skin without physically scrubbing it. Naturally occurring in citrus fruits, you can try a citrus mask for gentle exfoliation.
- Make a turmeric mask - Turmeric has curcumin in it, which is anti-inflammatory in nature. It is great for acne treatment and making a turmeric mask at home can provide you with great results against hormonal acne.
- Incorporate salicylic acid into your routine - Salicylic acid can be found both in nature and chemical sources. It weakens acne-causing bacteria, exfoliates the skin deeply and controls excess oil production. Try the Carmesi Hormonal Acne range of skincare products to incorporate this powerful ingredient from natural sources for great results against hormonal acne.