While often associated with weight gain, it isn’t the only factor at play when it comes to developing a double chin. Even though it may not pose a health risk, you may want to get rid of the stubborn fat under your chin for personal aesthetic reasons.
There is no scientific evidence that suggests that chin exercises play a role in getting rid of your double chin. But, there’s enough anecdotal evidence to get people to give it a try. In this article, we talk about why you get a double chin in the first place and 10 exercises that you can incorporate into your daily routine.
What causes a double chin?
The scientific term for a double chin is submental fat and it can happen due to a variety of reasons.
- Weight gain - Depending on your body type and metabolism, you may acquire fat in different places at different rates. If you have a tendency to gain weight on your face, you will be more likely to develop a double chin when you gain weight.
- Genes - If your parents or grandparents have a tendency to develop a double chin, chances are you have inherited those genes and are likely to develop one yourself.
- Bad diet - Contrary to popular belief, eating fattening food is not the only way to develop a double chin. If you are undernourished, your metabolism gets lowered, which erodes your chin muscles. As your skin sags, the fat gets accentuated and you develop a double chin.
- Thyroid issues - Developing thyroid issues like hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism can result in skin abnormalities and problems with the tissues that strengthen your muscles. This sometimes leads to a double chin.
- Sinus infections - Infections in your sinus can cause the lymph nodes to get inflamed and swollen, making your neck look swollen and saggy. This can often give you a double chin.
- Age - As you age, your skin starts to sag and become loose. Naturally, the skin around your chin suffers a similar fate and when the skin beneath your chin hangs, it can give the appearance of a double chin.
10 exercises that target that stubborn double chin
Here are 10 exercises you can try to get rid of that stubborn double chin.
- Chewing gum - This is probably one of the best and easiest ways to perform a double chin reduction exercise. Pop in sugar-free chewing gum and make it a habit to tone your facial muscles. As an added bonus, chewing gum can also keep unwanted hunger at bay, reducing your risk of overeating and gaining weight.
- Make the OO-EE motion - Try saying “oo” and then follow it up by saying “ee”. This moves around your facial muscles and can work to reduce your double chin and even cheeks. Do this for at least 5 minutes every day.
- Try a facelift exercise - This exercise works around your upper lips and prevents your chin from sagging. Open your mouth as wide as you can and use your fingers to draw your cheeks up as if to make yourself smile. Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Push your lower jaw - This can be done in two ways. First, tilt your head back and look up at the ceiling before jutting your lower jaw out for 10 seconds and repeating it a couple of times. Alternatively, you can do the same pose by looking right and then repeating the same thing while looking left. Make sure to keep your head tilted the whole time.
- The tongue roll - Look straight ahead and push out your tongue as far as it will go towards your nose. If you’re able, roll your tongue as well and hold the position for 10 seconds and repeat after taking a 10-second break.
- Make a fish face - Many of you love pouting for a selfie but take it a step further by sucking your cheeks and making a fish face. Hold them like that for 30 seconds before releasing and repeat the same procedure about 4-5 times.
- Try the Lion Pose - This is a great yoga pose that cures a lot of other issues apart of helping with your double chin. Sit with your knees folded behind and rest your palms on your thighs. Keeping the back straight, take a deep breath, and stick your tongue out as much as possible while making a sound as you exhale. Repeat this yoga pose 5-6 times a day.
- Blow some air out - This is one of the easiest double chin exercises that you can do any time and anywhere. Simply blow out air with as much pressure as possible and repeat it for as long as you like. This may strengthen your chin muscles and reduce your double chin.
- Try the ball exercise - Take a ball that is about 9-10 inches in size and place it under your chin. Press down on it while applying a little pressure and repeat this easy exercise about 25 times daily.
- The neck stretch - This is another healthy yoga pose that may work to reduce your double chin. Simple sit in a relaxed position and stretch your neck to the right and then to the left, holding each stretch for about 10-15 seconds. Repeat the entire procedure about 10 times daily for a few months.