Why do you get forehead wrinkles?
Have you been looking at the mirror lately and wondering why there are lines on your forehead? A normal part of ageing, wrinkles may appear on your forehead and other facial areas as you grow older. As you age, the collagen and elastin production in your body starts to lessen. Your skin loses its elasticity and starts to sag, making way for wrinkles.
But, age is not the only factor that contributes to those wrinkles on your forehead. There are several other factors that can aid in the appearance of those frown lines:
- Excessive exposure to UV rays
- Loss of facial muscle strength
- Raising your eyebrows too much or engaging in repetitive forehead facial expressions
- Constantly glaring at screens
- Excessive stress
- Bad lifestyle habits
- Genetics and family history
Can you completely rid yourself of forehead wrinkles?
Similar to making pores disappear, it is not possible to permanently and completely get rid of forehead wrinkles. Age will eventually take its toll, but that doesn’t mean that you can delay the process or minimize the appearance of your frown lines.
Apart from minimizing forehead wrinkles, you can also take certain precautions to prevent their abnormal or early appearance and considerably delay them.
How can you minimize your forehead wrinkles?
There are several things you can change in your skincare routine to reduce the appearance of your forehead wrinkles:
- Do some facial exercises - There is expert opinion that about 30 minutes of exercising the 57 facial muscles every alternate day for about 20 weeks can start showing results in terms of reducing forehead wrinkles in middle-aged women.
- Get a facial massage - A facial massage can help you to relieve stress, increase blood flow to your face and distribute the moisture evenly around the face. It can also provide exfoliating benefits by removing dead skin cells and improving your facial texture. But, always make sure to use good facial oil, serum or a massage cream to reduce friction, because it can be damaging to your skin. As you massage lightly in an outward or upward direction from the centre of your face, your collagen production is enhanced and you may start noticing smoother and less sagging skin.
- Avail wrinkle treatments - There are many OTC and prescription skincare products that can help you reduce your wrinkles. You should look for products that contain retinoids, which work by promoting skin cell turnover rate and boosting the production of collagen and elastin. You can also look for creams or serums containing antioxidants like vitamin C or vitamin B-3 (niacinamide), which can help reverse free radical damage, boost collagen production, improve skin elasticity and enhance moisture retention.
- Exfoliate with glycolic acid - Glycolic acid is one of the potent alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) which can be used as a chemical exfoliant for younger and healthier-looking skin. Further, as you exfoliate and remove dead skin cells and dirt buildup in your skin, the anti-ageing products you use can penetrate your face better.
- Opt for botox and fillers - Botox and injectable fillers have become popular ways to reduce fine lines and deep wrinkles, but they must be administered by a qualified and certified professional. Each product comes with its own set of hazards and adverse effects, which you should be completely informed of. Also, keep in mind that this is simply a temporary remedy.
Use a face primer before makeup - Like pores, you can also minimize the appearance of wrinkles with the help of a primer. They can blur out skin imperfections like forehead wrinkles and make your face appear smoother. Think of it as using the blur tool in real life when you apply a primer before makeup application for smoother skin that is less wrinkly.
Can you prevent forehead wrinkles?
Have you heard of the saying, “precaution is better than cure”? Well, the same applies here where forehead wrinkles are concerned. Do the following things to prevent their early and untimely appearance and delay the inevitable process of ageing:
- Embrace SPF - Always use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 and above to protect your skin from UV ray damage. The sun makes your skin age and forehead wrinkles can appear as a result of excessive sun exposure.
- Manage stress - Stress is a huge cause of premature skin ageing and the more stressed you are, the more likely it is that you will get forehead wrinkles. Take short breaks throughout the day and go on vacations to unwind from a stressful life.
- Drink enough water - Water can flush toxins out of your body and keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. Dehydration can make your skin lose tone and elasticity, giving rise to wrinkles.
- Give up smoking - Tobacco smoke can damage your skin and deprive it of vital nutrients and oxygen. Quitting smoking can minimize damage to your skin and make it look healthier and younger.
Follow a healthy diet - Eat a healthy well-balanced diet full of nutrients like antioxidants and collagen boosters. They can prevent premature ageing and keep you looking young and wrinkle-free for long.
- Keep your skin moisturized - Your skin loses its elasticity and moisture with age, making it sag easily. Keeping your skin moisturized can help prevent skin sagging and wrinkles, among other things.