You could be from any part of the world but must have surely heard of coconut oil and its thousand benefits for the entire body. This multi-tasker can become a part of our hair care routine as easily as it can become an ingredient for cooking. Our mothers and grandmothers have been relying on this wonder oil for years now so it’s no surprise that it is still a popular go-to oil for many of our skin and hair problems. What makes coconut oil so widely accepted and used is the fact that it’s easily available and in its natural raw state, has so many benefits.
How does it work?
The oil is largely made up of lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid, which is responsible for the oil’s ability to get absorbed easily as compared to other hair oils. Hair is made of proteins, namely Keratin, coconut oil prevents the loss of this protein, keeping the hair soft and smooth. You can use it before a wash for a softer mane.
- This ubiquitous oil is a great moisturizer thanks to the presence of lauric acid with its beneficial properties.
- As it penetrates the scalp easily, it can be used as a solution for dry and brittle hair.
- It also gets easily absorbed, therefore, encourages hair growth by reaching deep into the scalp.
- It creates a barrier on the scalp and protects it against bacteria and further damage.
- The presence of the fatty acids also makes it an excellent addition to anti-dandruff treatments.
How to use coconut oil for hair?
Being so resourceful, this oil can be used in a variety of ways for healthier hair. For damaged hair, the oil can be miraculous. All you need to do is warm it up at night, massage it into the scalp, and then wash it off with a gentle shampoo in the morning.
- The oil will help heal and repair the brittle hair and also tame the frizz. Use this natural hair mask once a week to get gorgeous locks.
- Mixed with water and castor oil, coconut oil acts as an anti-dandruff agent while keeping the hair protected. Apply this mixture once or twice a week depending on the severity of your dandruff condition.
- Hair that lacks luster and looks dull can benefit tremendously from regular use of coconut oil.
- You can also use it as a leave-in conditioner after a wash. It will help with frizz and dullness, and give your mane a shinier look.
- As coconut oil acts as a barrier for the scalp, apply it before you dive into that pool to give your locks safe from chlorine damage and other irritants in the water.
Go for a hair oiling session or plan one at home while you listen to your favorite podcast or audiobook. Massage the oil down to the roots and let the magic begin. Do not forget to slather some on the split ends. Being a natural product, it will also not pollute the environment.
Benefits of using coconut oil:
One of the most important benefits of using this oil is that it’s safe to use on the head. Unlike other products on the market, coconut oil is chemical-free so the chances of any side effects from using it are almost zero.
- Regular use of the oil can help reverse hair damage. Those who have been using coconut oil regularly swear by its ability to improve the texture of the hair too.
- As it prevents protein loss, it helps build the hair up while adding shine to your mane.
- The oil also protects the hair during a wash and when wet. Your hair will be less prone to damage if you first use coconut oil and then wash it.
- Breakage can also be reduced if you apply the oil after a wash.
- If you suffer from scalp psoriasis, coconut oil will help provide relief to symptoms like itchiness and dryness.
If you’ve been dreaming of Rapunzel tresses for a while, this miraculous oil is what can make that dream come true. Regular usage translates into healthier and thicker hair growth. If you’re someone who scratches their head often (we just mean dry scalp!), coconut oil is your best friend.
Who shouldn’t use it?
Coconut oil usually suits most hair types but there are always chances of an allergic reaction. So, we suggest that you first do a patch test to make sure that your hair accepts it with open arms. Also, those with fine hair can avoid this, as it can get quite sticky and make the hair seem even finer. Hair can get greasy and it can even clog the scalp pores for some.
This nature’s miracle can transform your hair into its healthier, shinier, and smoother version. So, if you’re looking for a natural oil that won’t cost a bomb, and will act as a versatile addition to your haircare ritual, grab that bottle of coconut hair oil today. And go for the virgin or extra-virgin variety for maximum benefits.