Reusable menstrual pads are pads that are made up of cloth. Since these are made up of cloth, these pads can be used several times. They do work the same as the regular pads. Reusable menstrual pads absorb the menstrual blood and can stay up to 4-5 hours, depending upon the flow you have.
The best thing about these pads is reusability. One can reuse these pads several times, which is, of course, environmentally friendly. This also lets you save your money a lot as you can invest once, unlike standard sanitary pads, which we throw every time after use. We can also decrease the waste created due to the standard regular pads that we throw after every use.
The regular plastic pads that are used create a lot of waste, which harms the environment itself. It is estimated that an average woman uses and throws a waste of almost 10,000 pads in her lifetime. That is a lot of plastic we are flushing into the ocean. Just imagine how much of this plastic we are throwing away. Instead, reusable menstrual pads are a better and safer option for tackling the periods.
How do reusable menstrual pads work?
The usage of these reusable menstrual pads is the same as the single-use disposable pads. These reusable pads are also designed in the same way that they fit into your underwear and then securely fit it through the wings it has. All you have to do is select and buy the pads that suit you and your flow and use them as your regular disposable pads. But the twist here is that you need not throw these reusable pads. You can wash them and use them again.
How to wash these reusable menstrual pads?
Washing these reusable menstrual pads are to be done carefully. Follow the instruction that you see on the package of these reusable menstrual pads.
The simple steps to wash these reusable menstrual pads are-
- Soak these pads in cold water for a few minutes. This is essential to remove the bloodstains. It is not advised to wash it with hot water for the first few 30 minutes as hot water helps settle down the stains.
- Rinse it until the water runs clear. This will clean almost most of the blood.
- Now wash it with a mild soap that does not have any extra chemicals added. This will help in clearing out all the excess blood.
- After washing, put back the reusable menstrual pad into the same shape that it is used to be before. This will ensure that there is no cotton shrinkage.
- Drying it under the sun is very crucial as it can remove the stains.
- These reusable menstrual pads are extremely easy and very comfortable to use.
- The fabric that is used to manufacture these reusable menstrual pads are very safe and hygienic.
- Unlike your regular disposable pads, there is no chance of getting rashes or any allergies because of these reusable menstrual pads, as these pads absorb the moisture and do not block the sweat.
- The main advantage of using these pads is that you do not get any foul smell or any extra added fragrance. The disposable menstrual pads do have lots of extra added fragrances and smell to tackle the period blood. When the period blood is combined with plastic disposable pads, it gives a very foul smell.
- These pads fit comfortably because of their bands, and it is easy and comfortable to use.
- These reusable menstrual pads last a little longer and, of course, save you a lot of money.
- In addition, you can also save the environment by turning eco-friendly.
- Sometimes during heavy flow, you might want to change your pad frequently. Ths do not help you sometimes.
- Washing these pads can be a little difficult as you need to handle them with care.
- Also, washing these pads require a lot of water, and you need to wash them with your own hands, which you might feel a little messy.
- It might take a little time to dry these pads. Also, you might want to wait until these pads get dried for another use. Sometimes, it may take a little longer for these reusable menstrual pads to get dried.
- While travelling, washing these pads will be a little difficult as you might not have time and space to wash these pads and dry them in the sun.
Things to keep in mind while buying menstrual pads
- Select the pads depending upon your flow : While getting started with these reusable menstrual pads, you might not know how many of these reusable menstrual pads are required for you. Firstly select the pads according to your flow.
- Switch between reusable and disposable pads: Until you know how many reusable pads you require during your period, try to switch between the disposable pads once in a while and assess your requirement for these reusable menstrual pads.
- Consider the absorbency of the pad : According to the reusable menstrual pad's absorbency, you can choose the number of pads you are required to buy.
- Be ready and get used to the cleaning process: Cleaning the reusable menstrual pads can be tricky as you need to wash them with your own hands, and all you need is a lot of water, sometimes required to clean them well. So get used to this cleaning and drying process before you completely switch to these reusable menstrual pads.
Why choose reusable menstrual pads?
- Your health is essential : The disposable sanitary pads have lots of fragrance, toxins, and disposable tampons do carry toxic shock syndrome caused by bacteria in our bodies. The chemical fragrances, toxic gels, and adhesives used in sanitary pads might cause you many problems and rashes in the long run.
- Considering the environment : As told earlier, if regularly used disposable pads, a woman can produce 10,000 pads waste in her whole lifetime. Considering the environment and its condition, switching to eco-friendly products is better and contributes a little back to mother earth.
- Save lots of money : As it might sound a little silly, but let's do quick math. On average, every woman spends around Rs.300 per month on disposable sanitary pads. If this continues for at least 30 years of her age, this might cross more than one lakh rupees or more on a rough note. But instead of these disposable sanitary pads, if you switch to these reusable menstrual pads, you can save a lot of money as these reusable menstrual pads can last up to a minimum of 5-6 years on regular use. If you invest in menstrual pads once in 5 years, you can almost save more money than you imagine.
So, it is advised to switch to reusable menstrual pads as you can turn eco-friendly and also, you can also save a whole lot of money where you can also be comfortable during your periods and save your health!